Instructional Video Clips
Video Clip 1
A simple three count drill repeated in different combinations. The most important thing is the building of timing and rhythm. The initiator strikes at a certain angle, the receiver answers with a strike along the same angle followed by the initiator striking on the same angle a second time. Then the initiator and receiver switch and repeat on a different angle.
Video Clip 2
These are the basic angles of attack or strikes.
1 A diagonal strike down to the left side of the opponents head/shoulder area
2 A diagonal strike down to the right side...same as angle 1
3 A horizontal strike to the middle of the body on the left side.
4 A horizontal strike to the right side of the body
5 A diagonal downward strike at the opponents lower left side/leg
6 a Diagonal downward strike...same as 5 but only to the right side.
7 A vertical upward strike
8 A vertical downward strike
9 A straight thrust with the ceann(head) of the bata
10 A downward stab with the buta(butt) of the bata
Remember that these are only the basic angle which have been used by me and those that I have trained. There are a vast number of variations that will come into play in choosing an angle of attack. Imagine the second marks on the face of a clock...with each tick you have a variation of these angles. This video is only meant to give you a begining set of examples...the rest is up to you.
When doing the buta stab(#10) Be sure to either stab downward, keep the ceann of the bata above your head or keep the ceann very close to the side of your head upon thrusting with the buta. A block or hit to the inside of the buta of the bata will send the ceann into the side of your head if you do not follow these precautions.
SRAITH #1Video Clip 3
I call this the sraith(series) #1. It consists of two sections both made up of a block followed by three strikes.
1 Buta block a #1 strike to the left side of your head.
2 Strike quickly with a 2 angle, 1 angle and then a 8 angle
3 Ceann block a #6 strike
4 Follow quickly with a 1 angle, a 2 angle and finally a 3 angle.
Here is another view from a different angle Video clip 4
SRAITH #2 Video clip 5
1. An invitational stance with the left foot forward
2. When an attack comes in a downward blow is made to the attacking arm on the outside of the wrist
3. Followed by a strike to the left side of the head and one to the top of the head.
4. Attacks are blocked...first to the left side of the head then the right side.
5. An attack to the left side is blocked with a hanging bastard type of gaurd which is followed by a quick downward poke using the buta of the stick.
SRAITH #3 Video clip 6
1. A strike to the left side of the head is blocked with a hanging gaurd
2. immediate follow up with a strike to the top of the head then the right side of the head then the left.
3. A strong strike to the right side of the head is blocked using a two handed grip on the bata.
4. The left hand releases the stick and the stick whips around to strike the right side of opponents head.
5. The stick returns and repeats the action on the opposite side in the right hand.
6. It is then grabbed two handed once again and the buta is shoved into the mark doubling the opponent over.
7. This is followed by a two handed axe like blow to the back of the head.